Ralph Smith is a Distinguished Professor of Mathematics in the North Carolina State University Department of Mathematics, Associate Director of the Center for Research in Scientific Computing (CRSC), and a member of the Operations Research Program.
- Description Of Research: Mathematical modeling of smart materials, numerical analysis and numerical methods for physical systems, parameter estimation, control theory, uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis.
- Database for Smart and Multifunctional Materials
This database contains models, codes, data and publications pertaining to smart and multifunctional materials including PZT, PLZT, SMA, terfenol-D, lead titanate and lead zirconate. The objective is to provide a repository for researchers employing these materials for a range of applications. We consider a variety of models ranging from DFT-based analysis to macroscopic models for design and control implementation. Aspects of this research have been funded by the NSF Grants CMMI-1306290 and CMMI-1306320 “Collaborative Research: CDS&E: Uncertainty Quantification of an Electromechanical Nonlinear Continuum Theory,” which is based on a collaboration between North Carolina State University and Florida State University.
- NSF Research Training Group (RTG): Mathematics of Materials (2007-12)
This program provided a number of interdisciplinary research and training opportunities for undegraduates, graduate students, and postdocs in the mathematical sciences. The research activities were organized around five topics that play a fundamental role in emerging technologies:multifunctional materials, polymers and composites including carbon nanotubes, orthopaedic biomaterials, dynamics of thin material layers, and material behavior of laser welding.
- Mathematical Biology RTG Workshop (2014)
- Member of Research Programs
- Research Publications
- Uncertainty Quantification: Theory, Implementation, and Applications, SIAM, 2014
- Smart Material Systems: Model Development, SIAM, 2005
- Research Directions in Distributed Parameter Systems, SIAM, 2003
- Smart Material Structures: Modeling, Estimation and Control, Masson/Wiley, 1996
- Spring 2014 Courses
Spring 2015 Courses
- Fall 2015 Courses
- Interesting Links